Passing It On:
In Scripture, it is the model we are given for how we instill within our children and grandchildren the faith that our parents and grandparents shared with us and we do so within the context of relationship, mentorship and community.
There are examples of generational discipleship all through Scripture.
The most oft-quoted verse about generational discipleship is probably Deuteronomy 6:4-9 where we are told to impress the commands of the Lord upon our children and to talk about them when sit and when we walk and when we lie down and when we get up…so basically, all of the time. And this command is given within the full assembly of Israel to all the people, so not just to parents but to the larger faith community.
We see this idea of generational discipleship play out in Scripture through so many intergenerational and familial relationships. Some examples include but are certainly not limited to…
- Eli and Samuel (I Samuel 3)
- Timothy and his mother and grandmother AND Timothy and Paul (2 Tim. 1:5)
- Elijah and Elisha (2 Kings 2)
- Naomi and Ruth (The book of Ruth)
- Moses and Joshua (Deut. 31)
- Mordecai and Esther (The book of Esther)
Sunday School for Children
Sunday School students are meeting in Room 111 for Preschool-2nd Grade activities and 3rd-7th Grades meet in Room 119.
The current theme of study is: Fear, Love and Trust: Following God's Commandments
In November, we will grow in knowledge of Stewardship as a Congregation.
Join us in December for the new church-year seasons of Advent, Christmas and Epiphany.
Lesson 1: God Gives the Law
God commands that I love Him and others.
Lesson 2: The Golden Calf
God commands that I put Him first.
Lesson 3: David and Goliath
God commands that I respect His name.
Lesson 4: Solomon Builds and Dedicates the Temple
God commands that I learn His Word.
Lesson 5: Joseph Cares for Jacob
God commands that I honor authorities.
Lesson 6: Abraham Rescues Lot
God commands that I respect Life.
Lesson 7: Isaac and Rebekah
God commands that I honor marriage and family.
Lesson 8: Achan's Sin
God commands that I respect my neighbor's things.
Lesson 9: David and Jonathan
God commands that I speak well of others.
Lesson 10: Ahab Covets Naboth's Vineyard
God commands that I be content.
Lesson 11: Paul and Philemon
God commands that I be content.
Lesson 12: The Rich Young Ruler
God commands that I fear, love, and serve Him.
Lesson 13: Peter's Reinstatement
Jesus has kept God's commands in my place.
We also encourage families to be engaged in devotional time at home through reading the Scriptures; experiencing a new church location as you travel for vacation; finding unique and interesting places to have family prayer time; and having caring conversations about how Jesus is working within your daily lives.
Materials can be found on this page to cover some great lessons at home.
Look for a children's activity sheet near the Guestbook in the Welcome Center, that helps kids focus on this week's Gospel lesson!
- Bible experiments: Children age 1-10
- Bible coloring pages: Children age 1-10
- Coloring prayer pages: All Ages
- Go Fish’s podcast for kids
- Activity Bible Verse Maze: Children (3-5th grade)
- Activity Virtual Field Trips: Families
- and more field trips!
- 20 screen-free things to do indoors
- A new resource recommended by virtual friends Alex & Amy: Road Trips from Home
'Screen addiction' is becoming a real problem, even more so during COVID-19 lockdowns, which is why it's more important than ever for children and adults alike to learn and develop healthier digital habits. Here is a useful resource called “Understanding Screen Addiction and Responsible Digital Use” which offers lots of valuable information such as:
- How technology use has changed over the years (72% of adults now consider smartphones their most essential device)
- The impact of COVID-19 on screen time use and digital behaviors (smartphone usage in the UK surged by 30% during lockdown)
- Understanding screen addictions and how our devices affect our brains and change our behaviors (e.g. dopamine-driven reward loops)
- Helpful tips and useful advice for tackling device addiction, managing gadget and internet use, and creating healthier digital habits.